Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hiroshima Peace Park

We were all touched by the peace park that was made in remembrance of the bombing of Hiroshima in World War II. I would have liked to spend more time there, but we were all exhausted and the whole museum is quite intense. It was a very unique experience to go through these emotions with the kids.
Nicole and Trejan wrote about it in their journals. Although I helped with prompting questions, these are some of their thoughts and words...

I wish we (America) didn't bomb Japan. When I saw the pictures it made me think about what our neighborhood would look like if we got bombed.

It makes me sad to think about. I felt really sad when I saw the pictures.

I hope we can all get along and not have another war.

I learned that such a small bomb can destroy so much.

There were a lot of colorful and bright paper cranes. They made pretty pictures with them.



Children's Monument-inspired by Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

1 comment:

Noriko Nakada said...

Have they read about Sadako? I loved Hiroshima and have a picture in that same spot!