Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Home Sweet Home!

We have been in America for about a month, and we are getting settled and adjusting to changes that our family has made.  This Christmas was wonderful, I was without an overlying pressure to soak up every last minute. Spending time with family this year I felt peaceful, knowing that we would see each other soon allowed me enjoy our time much more. Also, relaxation comes much easier when the thought of packing for six months of living overseas isn't looming.

Shopping here is like a dream in some ways. Everything imaginable flashes in front of me, screaming "buy me! buy me!" Costco is overwhelming and I can easily fill up the car with prepackaged food to last for months. Life here is so different than China! Most Chinese shop every day and bring home food to cook for one night, just what they can carry on the bus or walking home from the store.

People ask what it is like living here after being gone for so long...three years. Honestly it is hard to answer that question. In some ways it is like we never left because most stores and roads around the area are basically the same, health clubs are still filled up with people on treadmills, and the kids returned to the same elementary school, it feels very familiar. Our neighborhood has a few more traffic lights, but basically things still look the same.

However, in some ways it feels like I have changed and I see things with different eyes. Three years ago I might not have noticed how VERY busy every one seems to be here, or how in America there are so many people with unhealthy eating and exercise habits. I was aware of consumerism, advertising, shocking stories on the news, what they show on TV commercials but now I am seeing things differently and sometimes I am shocked by our culture. 

Three years ago I certainly didn't realize how blessed we are to live in a free country where they do not block the internet or keep track of each persons whereabouts. I never would have known how grateful I am to live in America.

Recently the intensity of sports for kids here has shocked us. It is amazing how much American kids advanced in skills at such young ages. Nicole is playing basketball a lot, she is working hard and trying to improve.

The pace of my life in China was slow. At times boring! The kids were easily entertained with friends who lived just steps away. Parents were often not involved in setting up time for the kids to play together. I knew our schedules would be busy when we came back home. Without sports available in China we were not driving to practices, games and stores to buy everything that goes with playing sports here. I wouldn't trade it, I continue to remind myself...this is where I want to be.

I am trying not to forget how to speak Mandarin, but I think it is a losing battle. I have had a few private lessons to practice, but most of my time is spent being frustrated because I have forgotten so much!

1 comment:

chet said...

Welcome home sister, brother and niece and nephew.